Best video setting for G4 Cube?

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jul 25 12:34:01 2003

Hi.

At 10:38 -0700 on 2003-7-25 Tyler Kelly wrote:

 > There is a button in this utility that says "probe video card".  I
 > tried it, and it changed the card setting from fbdev to r128.  I
 > assume that means ATI Rage 128, a standard video card in many Macs.
 > However, when I reboot with this setting, X will not start.

>From my experience with YDL (2.2, 2.3, and 3.0), good video is
obtained by manually changing the config file only.  I have yet to see
the video setting GUI producing a flawless, accelerated configuration
(not even on my two-year old iMac with the well-known Rage 128 graphic
card).

Read the manual pages and go ahead and change the config.  You may
find xvidtune useful to get timing information (I did on the iMac to
re-center the image).  You may also need some research on the Web for
the finer details.

Should you need it, I could send you my iMac XF86Config as a starting
point (just let me know privately).

 > As I recall from using some other Linux distribution (on Intel),
 > there was some sort of keyboard shortcut that you pressed to change
 > resolutions while X was running.  Can you do this in YDL?

Yes, it is as for the Intel machines, Control-Option-Num+ and
Control-Option-Num-.  You have first to enable the feature by
inserting the line

        Option "DontZoom"  "false"

(yes, it is a double negation :-/) in your XF86Config file.

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.