Battery Monitor

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jul 25 12:47:01 2003

Hi.

At 11:02 -0700 on 2003-7-25 Christopher Brown wrote:

 > So my question is how do I go about deleting items/packages.
 > Specifically, ALL the games, the 3 or 4 different media players
 > that don't work anyhow and various text editors.

I empathize with you. :-) I managed to bring one RH installation to
1.7G (which I still believe excessive but I have no time to dig
further) but it was no easy task, and I did it only after compiling
some stuff from sources (and without the bloody, useless
dependencies).

To obtain a list of packages do

    rpm -qa

To obtain information about an installed package, do

    rpm -qi <package name>

where <package name> is as in the list returned by the command above.
To erase a package do

    rpm -e <package name>

If a package does not get erased and complains about dependencies, you
can still erase it by doing

    rpm -e --force --nodeps <package name>

Make sure however that you know what you are doing since the
dependencies may not work (some do though).

See

    man rpm

for details.

 > unlike Mac OS I am assuming that I can't just delete things I don't
 > want.

You can go and delete files alright.  Assuming again that you know
what you are doing (e.g., do not delete /lib/libc.so.* ;-) ) you will
be alright.  The problem is that you thus insert inconsistencies into
your package database.  But then if you are careful with what you
erase this will not necessarily introduce problems (I mean, problems
that cannot be fixed).

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.