3.0 ftp install fails also

Stefan Jeglinski yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jul 29 01:14:00 2003

Fresh off the failure of the 3.0 installer via CDROM on a PowerTower
Pro *with an Apple-branded CDROM and Apple CDROM drivers* (see recent
thread with multiple posts on this), I have instead been trying to
install via ftp over a LAN. I get to the point where the message
"unable to retrieve the first install image" appears [due to an
EXT2-fs error], and then it fails also. This happens regardless of
whether I'm ftping off the CD directly or copying from the CD to a
directory and ftping from that directory).

It's clear that no one at Terrasoft tested a CDROM install on a
PowerTower clone (fair enough, the machine is not supported). My
question is, does anyone at Terrasoft actually know whether the ftp
install works (by having tested it, instead of assuming it does)?
Yes, this is a serious question, I dang well want to know if it just
doesn't work, so I don't waste any more time on it. If it ain't gonna
work, I'd rather move on.

Regardless, the CDROM install DID work with 2.3 on the PowerTower
Pro, enough said. So PLEASE fix that if nothing else for the 3.1
CDs!!!

Grrrr

Stefan Jeglinski