Netscape 4.7 solution to some Java applet problems

Tyler Kelly yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jul 30 21:34:00 2003

I'm writing this for the record so it with be in the mailing list archive.   I hope someone finds  it useful.

I've found that an old version of Netscape, 4.78, works better with some web sites' Java applets than Mozilla does.  I couldn't get Mozilla to work at all with my encrypted web email service, HushMail.com, but 4.78 does work. A few features of the web site that work under Windows don't work with 4.78, but at least I can read and send mail.

HushMail.com admits that their service does not work at all on the Mac, and indeed, Netscape 4.7 for Linux PPC may possibly be the only Mac browser in the world that works with HushMail!

Use this URL to bring up a list of rpm versions of Netscape: http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=netscape.  The Yellow Dog version is about half way down the list.  It works fine with YDL 3.