eclipse build instructions?

Greg Hamilton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jul 30 23:16:00 2003

I have Eclipse working on my iBook under YDL3.0 using IBM JDK 1.4.1

I had to build it from source. The Java bits build fine but there's
some GUI stuff written in C which I guess is probably the SWT stuff
which needs a little tinkering to get it going..

This link gets you most of the way there. It's instructions for
building the SWT stuff.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2003/debian-powerpc-200304/
msg00442.html

I found that this didn't quite work as stated on my machine.  It
describes modifying a file called make_gtk.mak. Once I'd made all the
mods described I still got linker errors. Some of the compile and link
options are guessed using pkg-config. pkg-config returned a few flags
that ld didn't recognise, which was a bit odd. I manually ran
pkg-config for each of the packages mentioned in the makefile, then
pasted the output into the makefile minus that unknown flags and it
worked.

Get the Eclipse source, follow the instructions above, then do the
standard Eclipse build as described in the Eclipse build instructions.
The build took a really long time on my 500Mhz iBook but it does work.

Good luck. If you get stuck let me know.

Greg