Customizing YDL

Jonathan Singer yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jul 31 11:22:02 2003

> Thanks, but I'm looking to do this for _all new users_  (default user..)
> not just me.  I'm looking into putting in a small lab of Linux systems
> and cannot configure each desktop (as the accounts already exist in
> Solaris/NIS.)
>
> FWIW, I got rid of the unwanted applets by uninstalling the RPM (this is
> what is commonly referred to as the brute-force method. ;)  I also found
> that you could disable the screensaver by editing an XML file in
> /etc/gconf somewhere...

I'm not sure how GNOME stores config files, but KDE stores them in
~/.kde/share/config by default. They're human readable. Defaults are usually
set in the source code.

In general my suggestion would be to 1) Flip through the KDE control center
and its GNOME counterpart. Almost everything you're asking about is in
there. 2) Get the config files set up the way you want them and add them to
/etc/skel.

Since you're dealing with existing accounts, though, can you simply copy the
directory to each user's home, checking that you're not overwriting an
existing config?

Otherwise, you can change the defaults in the source and reinstall. Brute
force, obviously, but less brutal than uninstalling applets system-wide to
get them out of your panel! If I were a user on your system, I'd like to
have a clock applet, even if you don't want one!