Internet inteface switch

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jun 1 13:19:01 2003

Hi.

At 20:34 +0200 on 2003-6-1 Thomas wrote:

 > This was somehow that what I expected. It would be very helpful if
 > someone had written a GUI application for this (a Perl script maybe)

Actually, you may want to get and use linuxconf.  It is a nifty
application I have been using (beside shell commands) on various
machines.  The RedHat-ish networking configuration tools available in
YDL may also work, though I have not tried them myself quite
extensively--I have 3.0 only on one of my machines that I do not
really use directly (it acts as an ssh server for the outside world,
and as a sound server for my other machines), but I did configure the
network on it using the provided GUI tools; they work as expected, but
then the scenario there was a simple workstation (no routing
functions) with staic IP.

When I had a Linux box as a router I configured it from the command
line using the mentioned howtos.  It did work without too much of a
fuss (the process took less than one hour, tweaking and howto reading
time included).  Incidentally, right now routing duties are performed
on my home network by an appliance (not as flexible as the Linux box
but I got it bundled with the DSL modem anyway).

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.