dialup under 3.0??

Beartooth yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jun 2 09:37:01 2003

On 01 Jun 2003 21:25:24 +0100, David Chart <linux@dchart.demon.co.uk>
reassured us :

> On Sun, 2003-06-01 at 18:57, Beartooth wrote:
>

> > 	Has anyone managed to establish a dialup account with 3.0 at
> > all? Any hints -- or even recipes? I'm running a G3 iBook, and will
> > plug it into a phone jack if I have to -- but it sure would be a lot
> > nicer to be able to use that apple wireless hub ..
>
> Yes, but only with the phone jack. I've got a 12" G4 PB, and the
> wireless card in those is completely unsupported. So, I can't help
> with wireless. However, I think the G3 iBooks use the same Conexant
> modems as my PB, so the instructions I posted on May 2nd should work.
> The subject is "Modem Working on 12" G4 Powerbook". Check the archives
> for it.

	Thanks, I will. Using a phone cord means laying it across both
the two bottlenecks in the traffic pattern for the whole house (which is
over a hundred years old -- and very comfortable otherwise -- but has
only one other phone jack: necx to MIL's bed ...). But it's a lot
better than no connection.

> Be warned, you have to compile a new kernel...

	In case anyone hasn't noticed, I have seventeen thumbs,
electronically as well as physically, with eleven invisible even to me,
and of course those get in the way even more than the others.

	I wouldn't touch make or compile with a ten-foot electron, let
alone touch it to the kernel. If there's a way to make the machine
explode in my face, or melt down over my lap, that's how I'd find it --
and if there isn't, I might anyway. <rueful grin>

	But I'm looking for a new provider at any event, and some
of the linux-friendly ones are beginning to offer national dialup; maybe
one'll be accessible where I need it and find a way to walk me through
connecting without the big hammer.

	Fwiw, I didn't have to configure 3.0 at all for DSL. It booted
up eth0 and eth1, one of which failed (intended I suspect for connecting
a cable direct to the DSL modem) -- and the other found the signal from
my wireless router and uses it. It must have found its own MAC address
and put it where it needed it, and done the rest of the config stuff.

	So maybe there *is* an easy way, preconfigured for the wireless
hub or preconfigured to find it, in there somewhere ...

--
Beartooth Implacable <karhunhammas (at) lserv.com>
FREE at last: Retired to the Mountains, No Mortgage