Apple clones

David Chart yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jun 2 15:36:01 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 00:32, Thierry de Coulon wrote:

> My point is: if you have a Mac and want to run Linux on it I'd recommend YDL.
> If you want to run Linux and look for a platform, ia32 is the choice: faster,
> cheaper, more programs to run. I upgraded my main machine to a double Athlon
> last year for 1/3 of the price of a double processor G4.
> The exception might be the iBook (maybe the 12" PowerBook too) that beats most
> PC notebooks.

This was the conclusion I came to. I looked seriously at Intel laptops
for my new computer, since I'm using Linux as my primary OS, but I've
ended up with a 12" G4. First, it looks great. Second, YDL supports it
properly. Linux support for laptops seems to be generally very poor at
the moment, and having a company interested in getting their distro
running on those particular laptops helps a lot. In the end, the only
bit of hardware I'm having trouble with is my printer.

Had I been buying a new desktop, however, I'm pretty sure it would have
ended up being Intel.

--
David Chart
http://www.dchart.demon.co.uk/