Apple clones

N.Thompson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jun 2 16:15:01 2003

On June 2, 2003 07:06 pm, David Chart wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 00:32, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> > My point is: if you have a Mac and want to run Linux on it I'd recommend
> > YDL. If you want to run Linux and look for a platform, ia32 is the
> > choice: faster, cheaper, more programs to run. I upgraded my main machine
> > to a double Athlon last year for 1/3 of the price of a double processor
> > G4.
> > The exception might be the iBook (maybe the 12" PowerBook too) that beats
> > most PC notebooks.
>
> This was the conclusion I came to. I looked seriously at Intel laptops
> for my new computer, since I'm using Linux as my primary OS, but I've
> ended up with a 12" G4. First, it looks great. Second, YDL supports it
> properly. Linux support for laptops seems to be generally very poor at
> the moment, and having a company interested in getting their distro
> running on those particular laptops helps a lot. In the end, the only
> bit of hardware I'm having trouble with is my printer.
>
> Had I been buying a new desktop, however, I'm pretty sure it would have
> ended up being Intel.

I am running an intel (celeron 466) but I am also considering trying a mac at
some point or another, one of the biggest reasons I was interested in mac's
is because I heard that they are better made and of course they look much
nicer then most X86's (makes them especially good for modding :-). As for OS
X I do intend on trying it but I am probably going to end up dual booting
Mandrake along with it.

--
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do.
Garfield