Apple clones

Tim Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jun 2 17:23:01 2003

On Monday, June 2, 2003, at 04:32  PM, Thierry de Coulon wrote:

> So my experience is that my 733 Mhz G4 (640MB) is mostly SLOWER
> (running OS X
> apps) than equivalent apps on my 600 Mhz (200MB) ia32 notebook. On the
> quicksilver, disk access and video sucks (I have run Wolfenstein 3D on
> W98 on
> the notebook with a Trident Cyberblade but never managed to run
> Soldier of
> Fortune 2 on the Quicksilver that runs a GeForce 2 MX).

If your G4's disk access sucks, you have a slow drive installed, or
your drive is failing and is slow because it must constantly retry
reads etc.  Especially if a notebook drive beats it.  I have a fast
drive installed in my Quicksilver and its disk performance blows away
every ia32 machine I use.  Of course, none of them have a 15000 RPM
SCSI disk like my QS does, so that's kind of expected...

As for video, are you joking?  You didn't even compare the same game,
and if you're being precise when you say "Wolfenstein 3D" you're
talking about a game from what, 1991?  In any case I would expect your
G4 to run Return to Castle Wolfenstein (if that's the game you meant)
much better than your notebook.  The G4 has a faster CPU, more memory,
and a better video chip.

As for SoF2, it's a port known to have severe performance problems on
the Mac.  The listed minimum requirements are a joke.  Yes, both RTCW
and SoF2 use the Quake 3 engine, but that doesn't make them even
remotely similar in performance...

> CD/DVD access is also slower on my Macs.

Once again primarily a function of the drive.

I don't disagree with your main point.  PCs are faster for less money.
But you aren't shedding any more light on the situation than the
Photoshop benchmarks you decried.