sendmail under YDL 3.0

C. Michael McCallum yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 3 08:38:01 2003

Hi,  I'm in the process of upgrading my 2.1/2.3 machines to 3.0.  I'm
working on a workstation before I upgrade my critical server, and I'm
having trouble with sendmail (sendmail-8.12.8-5.90).  I'm not able to
get mail from outside this machine.
I have tried to set up the sendmail.cf and sendmail.mc files as on my
2.1 machine (sendmail-8.11.6-2.7.1), but I am having a lot of trouble.

I have set  up the /etc/mail/local-host-names and /etc/relay-names with
all the names of the new machine (only the fully-qualified and simple
names).

As a first clue, when I try and connect to port 25, I get a refusal:

[root@onsager /root]# telnet gibbs.cop.uop.edu 25
Trying 10.10.160.109...

This leads me to believe that I have the port turned off, but sendmail
is running.

Another clue is the difference in netstat -a results.  Here is the 3.0
machine's output:

Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address
State
tcp        0      0 localhost.localdo:32769 *:*
LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:imaps                 *:*
LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:http                  *:*
LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:ssh                   *:*
LISTEN
tcp        0      0 localhost.localdoma:ipp *:*
LISTEN
tcp        0      0 localhost.localdom:smtp *:*
LISTEN

Here is the (working) 2.1 machine's result:

tcp        0      0 *:www                   *:*
LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:auth                  *:*
LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:ssh                   *:*
LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:smtp                  *:*
LISTEN

I don't think the 3.0 machine should have "localhost.localdomain" under
the SMTP, but I don't know why it is like that, or how to fix it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike
--