Apple clones

Dr. Robert M. Fuhrer yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 3 18:40:01 2003

At 10:29 AM 6/3/2003 -0600,
yellowdog-general-request@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com wrote:
>My YDL box is an 8500 with 768M of old style DIMM memory and a G3/266 CPU
>and a Rage 128 card.  It's not the ultimate gaming machine, but it is snappy
>and responsive. . . PC133 memory is not "awfully slow", it's faster than the
>memory in my G4 Cube that I use for editing weddings in final cut . . .

It really is slow compared to what's common on the x86 platform. For
one thing, PC133 is an SDRAM standard; current x86 machines use DDR
modules that get twice as much data across at the same clock speed.
Second, current x86 machines are clocking memory at significantly
higher speeds than PC133: 333MHz or 400MHz vs 133MHz for PC133.

High-end x86 machines (not really all that expensive, surprisingly)
tend to use dual-channel DDR400.

Put another way, PC133 is about 3 years old.

Mind you, I'm no devotee of the x86 world; it's just the painful
truth.

Cheers,
   -- Bob