How to boot directly into linux on an OldWorld Mac

Mike Kimmick yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jun 4 19:18:01 2003

Thanks for the help!  With l2cr=0xb9080000 kernel arg, I got my cache enabled.

However, my /proc/cpuinfo isn't the same as when I set the cache using BootX
(/proc/sys/kernel/l2cr is the same with both methods of setting the cache, as
expected).  When setting the G3 cache using BootX, /proc/cpuinfo shows

cpu		: 740/750
temperature 	: 21-24 C (uncalibrated)
clock		: 195MHz
revision	: 130.1 (pvr 0008 8201)
bogomips	: 673.38
machine		: Power Macintosh
motherboard	: AAPL,7500 MacRISC
detected as	: 16 (PowerMac 7500)
pmac flags	: 00000000
L2 cache	: 256K unified   <-----I still have orig. cache card installed
memory		: 176MB
l2cr override	: 0xb9080000     <------Here's the extra entry
pmac-generation	: OldWorld

Here's /proc/cpuinfo when cache is disabled or enabled by method other than BootX

cpu		: 740/750
temperature 	: 21-23 C (uncalibrated)
clock		: 195MHz
revision	: 130.1 (pvr 0008 8201)
bogomips	: 673.38
machine		: Power Macintosh
motherboard	: AAPL,7500 MacRISC
detected as	: 16 (PowerMac 7500)
pmac flags	: 00000000
L2 cache	: 256K unified
memory		: 176MB
pmac-generation	: OldWorld

Here's /proc/sys/kernel/l2cr when cache is enabled just in case it might be
important.

0xb9080000:  enabled, no parity, 1MB, +2 clock, pipelined burst SRAM,
write-through, 0.5ns hold

So, my question.  Is the entry in /proc/cpuinfo for 'l2cr override' important?
 Does it indicate something else has been set other than just the cache?  Is
there another kernel arg to enable this 'override' option?

TIA,

Mike Kimmick