apt-get updates and printer difficulties

Derick Centeno yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jun 4 22:26:01 2003

This will be a bit pithy, so I'll be as clear as I can.  The YDL 3.0
release allows one to use an hp deskjet 6122 by using the deskjet 990
driver.  The printer can be set within the cups environment together
with changes in configurations and everything is recognized via the
print config utility.

Now if one uses apt-get update and installs the cups and all the other
updates the YDL environment seems to "forget" any and all printer
settings and configurations not just between sessions (or logins) but
even within the same session.  It is almost as soon as one leaves cups,
one has to go back in and re-enter where the printer is located.  The
driver for the 6122 is clearly there, but cups and the print config
utility "loose" where the printer dev is located.  I don't know if there
is a "fix" for this, but I'm returning to the reinstall the original YDL
3.0; what I'm going through with this constant reseting is just too
annoying.  I don't know what conflicts were in those updates but,
something in them is affecting my system.

Thought you should know.  I'll wait for a day or two for a reply before
going ahead and reinstalling a pristine YDL 3.0 as it was before the
"updates".  Thanks for your thoughts.