Radeon dual monitor config with YDL 3.0?

Troy Vitullo yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jun 5 14:55:01 2003

On 21 May 2003 13:52:59 +0200
Thomas Kuehner wrote:

> Hi Oven
>
> On Wed, 2003-05-21 at 01:43, Owen Stampflee wrote:
> > > Does anybody know what parameters have to be passed to the kernel to
> > > prevent "him" from using the internal video?
> > "video=radeonfb" should do the trick, although you might need to specify
> > the correct vmode.
> >

> No, it does not do anything better. According to the HOWTO from the YDL
> support web-site "video=radeonfb:map:000000" makes no difference.
>
> > Owen
> --
> --
> Thomas Kuehner
>
> <macgix@macgix-services.com>
> <http://macgix-services.com>

Ah but what we found out on the 7000 is this (and it's a hack):

video=map:000111

don't worry about the radeon driver stuff necessarily.

Then, after you know X works, and if you can stand it, set your default login to graphic.

To get the graphical login instead of the text login, open the following file:

/etc/inittab

with your favorite text editor. Go to about the 18th line where you will see the following:

id:3:initdefault:

Change that to:

id:5:initdefault:

Then the  next time you log in it will be a graphical login.

So what happens is, you boot into MacOS, hit the Linux button, and it starts to boot. Hits runlevel 3 and either appears to freeze or goes blank. Then it hits runlevel 5 and your graphical login pops up.

Like I said, it's a hack, and it's messy, but its funny in a strange way too. Also, I think it's the first step to a better solution, but it might just be the coffee.

Cheers,

Troy