yellowdog-general digest, Vol 1 #905 - #2

Derick Centeno yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jun 5 20:30:01 2003

Thanks for your suggestion Christopher, however prior to your comment I
had reviewed some information prepared by vim.org (the people who
created vim) and in their FAQ pages they don't recommend what you
propose for the sake of stability and consistency between varying
versions of vim.  Meaning that if one goes along the route you suggested
then when you download the next version of vim you will be out of sync
as you will have modified vim's resource file.

However manipulating vim through EXINIT allows the resource file to
remain untouched while achieving the variation one wants.  In the AIX
OS, one could invoke EXINIT from within .profile and look something
like:

EXINIT='set nu colorscheme=evening'

Within YDL 3.0, I'm assuming the analogue would be .bash_profile.  I'm
not sure it is as I have tried the above and gotten reported errors
regarding EXINIT.

I'll reexamine the FAQ's from vim.org and make sure I didn't interpret
them incorrectly; I'll also reconsider your suggestion which may work in
spite of what they say.  If I discover something else along these lines
I'll report it here.  Thanks.

On Thu, 2003-06-05 at 14:01, Message: 2