yellowdog-general digest, Vol 1 #905 - #2

Christopher Murtagh yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jun 5 22:34:01 2003

On 5 Jun 2003, Derick Centeno wrote:
>Thanks for your suggestion Christopher, however prior to your comment I
>had reviewed some information prepared by vim.org (the people who created
>vim) and in their FAQ pages they don't recommend what you propose for the
>sake of stability and consistency between varying versions of vim.
>Meaning that if one goes along the route you suggested then when you
>download the next version of vim you will be out of sync as you will have
>modified vim's resource file.

 I can't possibly imagine where you read this. The .vimrc file is a file
in your home directory where you modify your personal preferences for vim.
That's what it's for. Changing versions of vim doesn't modify this file.
The only .vimrc file that would be modified is the global/central one
(that ships with the vim) such as:

 /usr/share/vim/vim61/vimrc_example.vim

 So, in short, write you changes to *your* .vimrc file which should be at
~/.vimrc (which is usually a shortcut to /home/username/.vimrc).

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh