Anaconda Error

Rick Thomas yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jun 5 22:08:01 2003

On Thursday, June 5, 2003, at 04:51 PM, Miguel A. Mota Jr. wrote:

> So all I have to do is completely wiped my old windows drive
> properly and install YD 2.2. Since apparently "fdisking" and
> deleting the
> partitions didn't do it (YD 2.2 installation says something about
> MS-Dos
> partitions), can someone recommend a proper procedure?  I don't
> any Mac OS
> CDs.

You need to borrow a MacOS CD from somebody long enough to reformat
your drive with Apple format partition tables.  The disk has MS-DOS
(actually Windows) partition tables on it from the last computer it
was in.  Apple (and PPC Linux) use a completely different format of
partition table, and the YDL installation routines are getting
confused.

Using fdisk won't do the job.  Fdisk just makes MS-DOS partition
tables.  It doesn't know anything about Apple partition tables.

Boot from the MacOS CD (by holding down the "C" key while you
power-on the machine) and run the program called "Drive Setup" in
the "Utilities" folder.  It's pretty intuitive -- and there's a
"Help" facility.  I'd recommend making two partitions, one small
one (maybe 500 MB) of type "MacOS Extended" for MacOS and the other
of type "Unallocated" for Linux.  The "Unallocated" one will be
subdivided using the Linux partitioning tools.

If you have trouble, ask here for help.

Since you have a Blue&White, you do not have to install MacOS.
However, many folks find it useful to have a MacOS partition
available for multi-booting, even if Linux is their main OS.
Having the MacOS option to fall back on can save you lots of time
with certain kinds of trouble shooting.

After creating an Apple format partition table on the disk you
should be able to boot from the YDL CD (same thing -- hold down the
"C" key) and use the Linux utilities to partition the disk the way
you want it to be.

Incidentally, I'd recommend that you use YellowDog Linux version
3.0, rather than 2.2.  2.x versions are no longer supported by
YellowDog, and 3.0 has lots of enhancements.

Hope this helps!

Rick