Sleep breaks my modem

S.M.Kelly yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jun 7 06:47:01 2003

On Thu, 2003-06-05 at 10:49, Jason DeVita wrote:

> I just upgraded my ibook (dual usb) to YDL-3.0, and then compiled the
> newest stable benh kernel to get my modem working.  The modem works fine
> until I put the ibook to sleep and subsequently wake it; then kppp can't
> dial.  It says:
>
>   Looking for modem...
>   Modem ready...
>   Initializing modem...
>
> and then it hangs there indefinitely.  So I hit cancel and try again, and
> is says:
>
>   Looking for modem...
>   Modem ready...
>   The modem does not respond.
>
> Again, it works fine as long as I don't put it to sleep.  Anyone know
> what's going on?

I think the sleep mode in general is still not what it should be.
My TiBook successfully wakes up maybe 50-60% of the time, I've gotten to where I don't even
use sleep mode anymore.  I thought I had it working a few weeks ago, but that was a victory
announced prematurely. I does now work better than it used to, but like I mentioned above,
crashes the system 40-50% of the time leaving me no option but to power down and reboot. (not good!)
>From now on I just give it the old "halt" command, and boot it back up when I need it.  I must say
that as much as I love YDL 3.0, I do miss being able to just close and open my lid at anytime
and have quick access by simply opening up my Powerbook. (I might have only rebooted OSX once every few weeks!)

If anybody has any suggestions, similar experiences, or especially FIXES, please let us know!

Sean M. Kelly
SMKSensei@Mac.com
"A Windows professional who uses a Mac running Linux."
Harrisburg, PA