Sleep breaks my modem

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jun 7 07:26:01 2003

At 08:35 -0400 on 2003-6-7 S.M.Kelly wrote:

 > I think the sleep mode in general is still not what it should be.
 > My TiBook successfully wakes up maybe 50-60% of the time, I've
 > gotten to where I don't even use sleep mode anymore.
 >
 > If anybody has any suggestions, similar experiences, or especially
 > FIXES, please let us know!

Hmm, I do not have much of a suggestion, except to mention that my
Tibook has an impressive uptime, happening while travelling regularly
from home to school and back.  I basically forgot that there is a halt
command out there, when I want to move the machine I just close the
lid and wait for the little breathing LED to kick in.

The only problem I noticed (and about which I simply do not care) is
that a mounted CD will feature flaky access after sleep.  But then
ejecting the CD and mounting it again solves the problem.

Note however that all of this did not happen with a plain vanilla
distro.  Sleep did work well only after (a) I compiled the latest (at
the time) benh kernel, and (b) I got the official XFree86 4.3.0
sources and compiled them.  Regarding (a), "latest" means a patched
ben9, so I would assume that ben10 or above will do the trick.  (b) is
painless, except maybe for the time it takes for the compilation to
complete (in case you are impatient).  These may not be needed in 3.0
(I am running a heavily modified 2.3), but then they may just as well.

I heard of some installation quirks as far as pmud is concerned,
namely that /etc/power/pwrctl and /etc/power/pwrctl-local did not have
the executable bit set and thus were not executed.  It did not happen
to me, but check for these just in case.

As far as the original poster's problem, I seem to recall that the
problem was documented a while ago, namely that the Linuxant kernel
modules are known to hang after sleep.  The solution that comes to
mind would be to place a command to shut down the dial-up connection
followed by an appropriate rmmod (/usr/sbin/hcfusbstop maybe?) in
/etc/power/pwrctl-local to unload those modules upon sleep (should be
no problem, they will be reloaded the next time you need them).  I am
not sure about this one though, since I do not use my modem.

The machine I am referring to above is a Tibook rev. 3 (Radeon M7).

My about $0.02,
Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.