Sleep breaks my modem

S.M.Kelly yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 10 19:29:01 2003

--=-LxLHs8pQc1H/Cf48l8WQ

On Sat, 2003-06-07 at 09:28, Stefan Bruda wrote:

> Note however that all of this did not happen with a plain vanilla
> distro.  Sleep did work well only after (a) I compiled the latest (at
> the time) benh kernel, and (b) I got the official XFree86 4.3.0
> sources and compiled them.  Regarding (a), "latest" means a patched
> ben9, so I would assume that ben10 or above will do the trick.  (b) is
> painless, except maybe for the time it takes for the compilation to
> complete (in case you are impatient).  These may not be needed in 3.0
> (I am running a heavily modified 2.3), but then they may just as well.

Stefan,
Where would someone find a "benh" kernel?  Is it recommended to
recompile XFree86 as well?  I haven't compiled a thing yet in my Linux
experience.  It's something I'm eager to try, but feel like I need some
hand-holding. (this is my production computer, I don't have anything
else to "play" on.)  Any recommendations??  help??

Sean M. Kelly
=========================
SMKSensei@Mac.com
"A Windows professional who uses a Mac running Linux."
Harrisburg, PA

--=-LxLHs8pQc1H/Cf48l8WQ

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
On Sat, 2003-06-07 at 09:28, Stefan Bruda wrote:<BR>
<FONT SIZE="3"></FONT><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>
<PRE><FONT COLOR="#737373" SIZE="3"><I>Note however that all of this did not happen with a plain vanilla
distro.  Sleep did work well only after (a) I compiled the latest (at
the time) benh kernel, and (b) I got the official XFree86 4.3.0
sources and compiled them.  Regarding (a), &quot;latest&quot; means a patched
ben9, so I would assume that ben10 or above will do the trick.  (b) is
painless, except maybe for the time it takes for the compilation to
complete (in case you are impatient).  These may not be needed in 3.0
(I am running a heavily modified 2.3), but then they may just as well.</I></FONT></PRE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
<FONT SIZE="3"><BR>
Stefan,<BR>
Where would someone find a &quot;benh&quot; kernel?&nbsp; Is it recommended to recompile XFree86 as well?&nbsp; I haven't compiled a thing yet in my Linux experience.&nbsp; It's something I'm eager to try, but feel like I need some hand-holding. (this is my production computer, I don't have anything else to &quot;play&quot; on.)&nbsp; Any recommendations??&nbsp; help??</FONT>
<PRE><TABLE CELLSPACING="0" CELLPADDING="0" WIDTH="100%">
<TR>
<TD>
Sean M. Kelly<BR>
=========================<BR>
<A HREF="mailto:SMKSensei@Mac.com">SMKSensei@Mac.com</A><BR>
&quot;A Windows professional who uses a Mac running Linux.&quot;<BR>
Harrisburg, PA
</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>