Sleep breaks my modem

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 10 20:16:00 2003

Hi.

At 21:29 -0400 on 2003-6-10 S.M.Kelly wrote:

 > Where would someone find a "benh" kernel?

Well, grab a binary first (I use BenH Devel).  If it works, then there
is no need to compile a new one.  To to so (grab a binary that is), go
to http://www.ppckernel.org/

For installation instructions see
http://www.ppckernel.org/installation.php (but do make sure that you
do not override your old kernel, and that the said old kernel is
accessible from yaboot).

 > Is it recommended to recompile XFree86 as well?

I seem to recall that sleep did work with the stock XFree86, DRI was
the one needing a compilation.  Not even this may be true in 3.0 which
comes with the latest and the greatest in this respect.  So don't
think about compiling a new XFree86 unless everything else fails.

 > It's something I'm eager to try, but feel like I need some
 > hand-holding. (this is my production computer, I don't have
 > anything else to "play" on.)

Kernel compilation won't break anything if you are careful.  Take a
look at

http://yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/kernels.shtml

The trick is to keep your old kernel around (and to make sure that you
have a yaboot entry to reach it) in case your brand new kernel does
not work as adevrtised.

Oh yeah, benh sources are in the same place
(http://www.ppckernel.org/), click on "Ben kernel" under the heading
"Kernel Trees" on the left hand navigation bar.

Hope this helps,
Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.