Adding a SCSI CD-ROM

John M Phillips yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 10 19:40:00 2003

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Rob Brandt wrote:

> What are the proper steps to add a SCSI CDR drive to a Beige G3 running under
> YDL 2.2?
>
> I assumed that I would simply connect the hardware and then add a line to fstab,
> but I did this and when YDL tries to load I get an error:
>
> scsi: device set offline - command error recover failed: host 1 channel 0 id 2 lun 0
>
> This repeats for every id that isn't already in use (2-6).

1) It's not clear from your description, did you power down the system
before connecting and powering-up the scsi drive if it was an external drive.
Linux scans the scsi devices on boot-up.

2) The scsi cdrom driver needs to be either compiled with the kernel, or
loaded as a module.  The command "cat /proc/devices" should show

	Block devices:
	11 sr

If this is not there, you may need to rebuild your kernel.

3) With the driver in the kernel your first scsi cdrom device should be
	brw-rw----    1 root     root      11,   0 Mar 10  2002 /dev/scd0

Hope this gets you further.

John M Phillips