Powerbook Wallstreet and wireless?

Ted Lemon yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jun 12 00:16:01 2003

On Wednesday 11 June 2003 06:53, Ken Simpson wrote:
> Does anyone know if there are any cardbus wireless cards
> available for the Powerbook G3 which are supported/word
> with YDL?

I've been able to get an Orinoco silver card working just fine on the
Wallstreet.   You need to go into the System Settings->Network dialog and
click on add, and then when it asks you what to add, click on the wireless
ethernet option.   Then your only option for card is "other", and if you
click on that, you get a long list.   One of them is the Orinoco card - just
pick that, and it'll configure it.

I discovered this after much messing around with insmod and lsmod and such.
You can get that to work too - you have to do:

insmod pcmcia_core
insmod ds
insmod yenta_socket
insmod orinoco_cs

and then /etc/init.d/pcmcia start

The problem with this is that you have to do it every time you reboot, so it's
not very satisfactory.   If you set it up with the network config dialog, it
does all the homework to make it start up correctly when you reboot.

If you have an airport network, and you use encryption, you will need to
figure out the network equivalent password, because the way Apple handles
text strings is incompatible with the way Linux does it.   You can find the
network equivalent password by going to your Mac running MacOS X, starting
the Airport Admin utility, and then selecting Network Equivalent Password
from the base station menu.   If you have the very latest Airport Admin
software, it's also on the information screen that you get when you connect
to the base station.

You can't set up the network password in the GUI, so once you've configured
the card in the GUI, get out of that and edit
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 (or whatever eth# the card is).
Add a line that says KEY=<nep>, where <nep> is the hexadecimal code that you
got from the Airport Admin utility.