Powerbook Wallstreet and wireless?

Ken Simpson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jun 12 06:40:01 2003

Ted,

Quoting Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>:

> On Wednesday 11 June 2003 06:53, Ken Simpson wrote:
> <snip>

> I've been able to get an Orinoco silver card working just fine on the
> Wallstreet.   You need to go into the System Settings->Network dialog and
> click on add, and then when it asks you what to add, click on the wireless
> ethernet option.   Then your only option for card is "other", and if you
> click on that, you get a long list.   One of them is the Orinoco card - just
>
> pick that, and it'll configure it.
>
> I discovered this after much messing around with insmod and lsmod and such.
>
> You can get that to work too - you have to do:
>
> insmod pcmcia_core
> insmod ds
> insmod yenta_socket
> insmod orinoco_cs
>
> and then /etc/init.d/pcmcia start
>
> The problem with this is that you have to do it every time you reboot, so
> it's
> not very satisfactory.   If you set it up with the network config dialog, it
>
> does all the homework to make it start up correctly when you reboot.
>
> If you have an airport network, and you use encryption, you will need to
> figure out the network equivalent password, because the way Apple handles
> text strings is incompatible with the way Linux does it.   You can find the
>
> network equivalent password by going to your Mac running MacOS X, starting
> the Airport Admin utility, and then selecting Network Equivalent Password
> from the base station menu.   If you have the very latest Airport Admin
> software, it's also on the information screen that you get when you connect
>
> to the base station.
>
> You can't set up the network password in the GUI, so once you've configured
>
> the card in the GUI, get out of that and edit
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 (or whatever eth# the card is).
>
> Add a line that says KEY=<nep>, where <nep> is the hexadecimal code that you
>
> got from the Airport Admin utility.

Thanks so much. I'm not dealing with an Airport network so I won't have
to worry about that part. I was thinking about replacing my Intel Linux
box with an Dell laptop for some database work. But if the Orinco
wireless card works, I can keep the trusty Wallstreet and access it
remotely. Much better working while hanging out with the family rather
than being exiled to the office.

Thanks again.

Ken

YDL.net - The online community for Yellow Dog Linux users