ydl-g] Re: apt-get/yum (was Re: yellowdog-general digest, Vol 1 #923 - Mess 3; yum)

R P Herrold yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jun 18 21:31:01 2003

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Charles McCallum wrote:

> A big fat "me too" on this one, also.  I posted about this ten days ago
> and have gotten no satisfactory solution.

> > Downloading needed headers
> > Damaged Header
> > /var/cache/yum/updates/headers/httpd-devel-0-2.0.40-21.3a.ppc.hdr

> > getting
> > /var/cache/yum/updates/headers/httpd-devel-0-2.0.40-21.3a.ppc.hdr
> > ERROR: Url Return no Content-Length  - something is wrong

What's the confusion? -- There was a retrieve error, and file:
    /var/cache/yum/updates/headers/httpd-devel-0-2.0.40-21.3a.ppc.hdr
is corrupt.  The yum program noted this, and stopped, as
the issue is outside its scope.  lLater versions will retry
a couple more times, but if the remote server is congested,
there is little to be done locally.  It also has a rather
nice man page.

The yum man page notes the option:

       yum clean headers
              Eliminate all of the files  which  yum  uses  to  determine  the
              remote  availablility  of packages. Using this option will force
              yum to download all the headers the next time it is run.

and at that point it should retrieve the headers if there are
not issues with access to the remote server.

or you can manually remove just the damaged header
   rm /var/cache/yum/updates/headers/httpd-devel-0-2.0.40-21.3a.ppc.hdr
and save a bit of time.

-- Russ Herrold