7500 Powermacs

Madhusudan Katti yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jun 19 10:25:01 2003

--Boundary_(ID_nrfEnoZhSw6BJidC2zhPmA)

While I haven't worked with a 7500, my experience might be relevant.

I have successfully installed YDL 3.0 on my Powermac which is a bit of=20=

a chimerical beast:

I started with my old 7200.
Swapped out the logic board for an 8500.
Upgraded with G3/233 zif on an XLR8 carrier card (with the G3=20
overclocked to 300 MHz).
I've also maxed out the PCI slots with an ATI 3D Rage Pro, a Firewire=20
card and a USB card.
The internal drive bays are also full out with a 4.3 GB and an 18 GB=20
scsi drives.
I use the original Apple ADB keyboard that came with the 7200, and a=20
Logitech wireless USB mouse.

With OS X running slow on this beast, I dove into Linux by purchasing=20
YDL 2.3 just a few weeks before 3.0 came out. After playing around in=20
2.3 for a while, I sort of started from scratch and installed YDL 3.0 a=20=

few weeks ago. I had no trouble whatsoever installing either 2.3 or 3.0=20=

on this machine , following the basic installation instructions from=20
YDL. All the hardware was recognized and everything has just worked.=20
Now I am happily running YDL 3.0 on it. Of course, I am still low on=20
the Linux learning curve, and still fussing with various settings to=20
find the right comfort zone, but I have to say that the transition to=20
Linux has been much easier than I expected as a long-time mac user.

What a way to keep old hardware running up-to-date and productive - and=20=

cheaply at that!

I guess I have to thank both Apple and the YDL team for their excellent=20=

work...

Madhu

On Thursday, Jun 19, 2003, at 08:51 America/Phoenix, <DFStein@aol.com>=20=

wrote:

> Anyone successfully install YDL 3.0 on a Powermac 7500 with a G3 or G4
> upgrade card.=A0 I have a Sonnet Crescendo G3/375/512K I could try and =
a=20
> G4/400/1 XLR8
> carrier card/zif.=A0 THANKS.

Madhusudan Katti
Central Arizona - Phoenix Long-Term Ecological Research Project
Center for Environmental Studies
Arizona State University
929 S. Mill Ave. Ste. 151
Tempe, AZ 85287-3211, USA

Tel: +1 (480) 965-8198
Fax: +1 (480) 965-8087
Email: mkatti@asu.edu
http://javelina.asu.edu/~madhu/
http://caplter.asu.edu/

[...]

a few weeks ago. I had no trouble whatsoever installing either 2.3 or
3.0 on this machine , following the basic installation instructions
from YDL. All the hardware was recognized and everything has just
worked. Now I am happily running YDL 3.0 on it. Of course, I am still
low on the Linux learning curve, and still fussing with various
settings to find the right comfort zone, but I have to say that the
transition to Linux has been much easier than I expected as a
long-time mac user.

What a way to keep old hardware running up-to-date and productive -
and cheaply at that!

I guess I have to thank both Apple and the YDL team for their
excellent work...