firewire/ieee1394 on blue-and-white g3

Matt Price yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jun 20 11:14:00 2003

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to get an external firewire drive to work with my
blue and white g3.  I noticed an earlier thred on a similar topic
seemed to sort of peter out without any reported successes, so I
thought I'd ask whether ahyone had had any success with a similar
configuration.

So, here's my situation:

Hardware:
blue-and-white g3 with TI PCILynx Firewrire (rev 2)
generic hard drive enclosure with Oxford 911 chipset
maxtor 80 gig drive in the enclosure, jumpered to 'master'
(in macos 9, the drive shows up just fine)

Kernel: 2.4.21-benh with the latest ieee1394 drivers from the
linux1394 subversion branch.  I've also tried 2.4.18 and 2.4.20 with
no success as yet.

OS:  YDL 3.0 and Debian mixed stable/unstable (seperate partitions, of course!)

I'm at the stage where gscanbus shows my enclosure as a device, but
sbp2 can't log in to the device -- and therefore (I guess) I can't
mount the drive.  I've tried adding the line

options sbp2 sbp2_force_inquiry_hack=1

to /etc/modules.conf (as per an earlier suggestion on the lest), but
that didn't help.  Nor does running rescan-scsi-bus.sh.  So now I've
done pretty much everything i can think of.  Has anyone ever had
success with firewire devices on the blue-and-white g3, or on other
computers that use the same firewire chip?  I'd definitely appreciate any help folks can offer.

Thanks much,

Matt