Which .config to make new kernel?

Sakari Aaltonen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jun 20 13:08:01 2003

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, mamonbbux wrote:

> > the resulting 'vmlinux' is not identical to the 'vmlinux-2.4.20-8d'
> > in /boot.
>
> you made a bzzzzzzzzzz and you compare 2 vmlinux ?
> oh well, I can't understand since I do not know what this bzzzz is there
> for, so what you've done exactly when making a new one.

'make bzImage', in fact, creates the file called 'vmlinux'.

> > Another thing - if I do "xconfig" and don't change anything, just save
> > and exit, the resulting .config is different ... (and) error message:
>
> make xconfig :
> - you have to click FIRST on "load configuration from file"
> - on the popup, you write .config
> ------------> (the copy of the /boot/config -changed with your prefs and
> being mv to /usr/src/linux/.config)
>
> - ONLY after that you save and kouitt !

If I do 'make xconfig' on a PC, it loads the .config in /usr/src/linux
without me having to do a 'load configuration from file'.

By the way, YDL 3.0 doesn't seem to include the directory
'/usr/src/linux'. There is only '/usr/src/linuc-2.4'. I wonder why.

> and next, you ask the shell to make dep and so on...
>
> > http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/kernels.shtml

This brings up an interesting point. If O use 'mozilla' to go to
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions, I can't navigate.