PowerComputing Clone with CD-ROM issues on YDL Install

Dorothy over the RGB yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jun 21 15:59:00 2003

Regarding the SCSI drive being "unseen" by MacOS 9:

The original SCSI CD-ROM in my PowerTower Pro 225 was an NCR something. I
could not mount a CD while running MacOS 9, hence making it difficult to
install a Linux distribution via Boot X. On the other hand, I could boot from
the CD to install MacOS 9. Switching from Internal to External SCSI bus,
terminating or not the CD-ROM and/or the cable won't change anything to the
problem. I never found a (satisfying) software-based solution to that problem
even though you can find (promising) suggestions on the web, look for
instance for "PowerTower SCSI" on www.resexcellence.com. As it says at the
end of one article: your mileage may vary.

Hardware solution: "borrow" an Apple SCSI CD-ROM drive from a Power Macintosh
dating from the same years. Basically you're looking for a MATSHITA CR-8024
alike with an Apple stamp on the box. If you choose that path, you have the
following options:

- You do have a Power Macintosh or an understanding friend has one.
- Visit the retailers specialized in recycling old hardware. After doing the
talking, you should be able to get one of those old CD-ROM for about $40 (or
less if you're really good).
- E-bay.

Assuming that you went through the install stage:

If you have a PowerTower, there is also a strong possibility that your video
card is an IMS TwinTurbo, which is not supported by YDL 3.0. Yes, it is not
supported but it'll work with FBDev and you can make it work beyond FBDev:
- You have the "guru" status, grab the imstt_drv source somewhere, compile it,
it'll work under XFree 4.3.
- You do not have the "guru" status, extract the imstt_drv.o (already
compiled) from the XFree 4.2 rpm of YDL 2.3 using mc. Install it in
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/, modify your XF86Config and you should be up
and running (1280x1024-15@75). Specify the driver within BootX too.
Go to groups.google.com, comp.os.linux.powerpc, and check out the thread "Umax
S900 - in search of a distribution" for more details.

Finally, if you're tired of your one-button mouse and if you do roam those
strange places were old hardware piles up,  try to find an ADB LogiTech
MouseMan M-AH32.  Linux will recognize it as a "1+ button ABD" and the 3
buttons will work as expected. Bye, bye F10/F11 or whatever you put into
/etc/sysconfig/mouse-emulation. For MacOS 9,  go to the www.logitech.com web
site and dig deep into the download area for the MouseKeys software. The
installer does not work, but you can simply drag and drop the CP into the
System folder. Then you can configure the 3 buttons to do whatever you want
(i.e. getting the contextual menu on the right button).