Gnome startup-problems/error after new installation

John Howland yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jun 21 20:02:01 2003

On Saturday, June 21, 2003, at 06:25  PM, Michael Loose wrote:

> Hello to everyone on the list and thx for paying attention
> to this note.
> While trying to "reanimate" ;-) my iMac the horror below happened.
> As this renders me helpless and totally stops my shy attempt to
> run Linux on a Mac, i would greatly appreciate any help.
>
> Specs:
> dual boot Sirius/MacOS 9 on /dev/hda on an iMac DV450.
> Default "workstation-install" with packets for Gnome-Desktop added
> during installation process, Network-Configuration as DHCP-client,
> network device not enabled at boot-time.
>
> During installation everything seemed to do fine, the system boots
> up to runlevel 3 by default, after login and  "startx" the XServer
> starts (black screen and the cross-cursor appears, followed by the
> YDL-Logo) and the the following error-messages appear:
>
> 1. "There was a problem registering the panel with the
> bonobo-activation
> server. The error code is 3. The panel will now exit."
>
> 2. "There was an error starting the GNOME-Settings Daemon. Some things,
> such as themes, sounds or background images may not work correctly.The
> Settings Daemon restarted too many times. GNOME will try to restart the
> Settings Daemon next time you log in."
>
> 3. "Nautilus can't be used now, due to an unexspected error"
>

> And it leaves me alone in black silence...

This can happen when the time is not correctly set.  Occasionally
I have seen this condition after ybin runs (it writes to the non-
volital ram).  Try booting into single user mode.  (enter

linux 1

to the yaboot prompt)

Then enter

date MMDDhhmm2003
setclock
exit

to finish the boot in multiuser mode.

John E. Howland       url: http://www.cs.trinity.edu/~jhowland/
Computer Science    email: jhowland@ariel.cs.trinity.edu
Trinity University  voice: (210) 999-7364
One Trinity Place     fax: (210) 999-7477
San Antonio, Texas  78212-7200