Cannot make modules

Sakari Aaltonen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jun 22 11:55:01 2003

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, bruce woller wrote:

> Sakari:
> Did you :
> make clean;
> make mrproper
> ?
> I had trouble with modules when I left out the mrproper step

Excellent advice - thank you. Making 'mrproper' really seems to be
necessary. However, when I made 'modules_install', the modules ended
up in "/lib/modules/2.4.20-8dcustom". My source directory was
"/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-sa", so I expected the modules to go to
"/lib/modules/linux-2.4.20-sa".

I don't understand where the name "linux-2.4.20-8dcustom" comes from.
If I make several kernels, do they all have to be called this?  Or do
I always have to rename the subdirectory in /lib/modules after making
modules? Well, I don't know whether that would work - the name seems
to be hard-coded somewhere.

Sakari Aaltonen