Cannot make modules

bruce woller yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jun 22 17:41:01 2003

--Apple-Mail-2-708652609

On Sunday, June 22, 2003, at 11:54  AM, Sakari Aaltonen wrote:
> I don't understand where the name "linux-2.4.20-8dcustom" comes from.
> If I make several kernels, do they all have to be called this?  Or do
> I always have to rename the subdirectory in /lib/modules after making
> modules? Well, I don't know whether that would work - the name seems
> to be hard-coded somewhere.

Sakari:

I have found that the web site:
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Kernel-HOWTO/
gives excellent advice regarding kernel builds.  It is written
specifically for X86 Linuxes (Linuxi? What is plural for Linux in
Finnish?) (i.e. make bzImage as opposed to make vmlinux).  On the most
part it applies to YellowDog also.  Step 6 of the quick and dirty
kernel build instructions is:

6. Give a unique name to your new Kernel - Edit
/usr/src/linux/Makefile and change EXTRAVERSION

This is what I do to change the name of the build.  Be aware that all
the modules will then have to be in a library of the same name.

Good Luck on your sound problem (you are probably finding out more
about Linux than you ever really wanted to know just to listen to your
new CD!)

Regards,
Bruce

--Apple-Mail-2-708652609

<excerpt>I don't understand where the name "linux-2.4.20-8dcustom"
[...]

Bruce</bigger></fontfamily>

--Apple-Mail-2-708652609--