Cannot make modules

Sakari Aaltonen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jun 22 23:26:01 2003

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, bruce woller wrote:
> Step 6 of the quick and dirty
> kernel build instructions is:
>
> 6. Give a unique name to your new Kernel - Edit
> /usr/src/linux/Makefile and change EXTRAVERSION
>
> This is what I do to change the name of the build.  Be aware that all
> the modules will then have to be in a library of the same name.

OK. I have made a number of kernels on a PC, but never ran into
EXTRAVERSION before. Apparently, I have always changed the _version_
enough. Like, making version "2.4.20" vs. "2.4.19", in which
case EXTRAVERSION would not be needed.

> Good Luck on your sound problem (you are probably finding out more
> about Linux than you ever really wanted to know just to listen to your
> new CD!)

CD's play fine since I gave up on KsCD and Xmms and installed Xine.
The problem now is that if I try to play video (MPEG-1), the picture
is fine, but there is no sound. At the moment, I have no idea whether
this is a kernel/OSS, Xine, KDE, or Yellow Dog problem.

Sakari Aaltonen