How to configure ppp0 for ADSL ?

Charles Trois yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 24 11:07:00 2003

Hello!

I have been trying for some time to set up an Internet ADSL connection in
YDL 3, using the modem Alcatel Speedtouch USB. This requires PPPoA.

Running the script speedtouchconf.sh of Steve Parker, and looking at the
log, I found that things were all right up to this point:

(begin quote)
Phew! That was the hard part! Should be plain sailing now...
Running : pppd call adsl
ppp0: error fetching interface information: Device not found
* Oops - don't seem to have connected. *
Configuration finished.
(end quote)

I also see in /var/log/messages:

ppp0: error fetching interface information : Device not found

and

modprobe: can't locate module ppp0

This last line seems strange: is ppp0 really a kernel module?
At any rate, I made a search on the net and found some recommendations about
editing the file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0
The file I have presently is this:

******begin ifcfg-ppp0******
USERCTL=yes
BOOTPROTO=dialup
NAME=DSLppp0
DEVICE=ppp0
TYPE=xDSL
ONBOOT=no
PIDFILE=/var/run/pppoe-adsl.pid
FIREWALL=STANDALONE
PING=.
PPPOE_TIMEOUT=20
LCP_FAILURE=3
LCP_INTERVAL=80
CLAMPMSS=1412
CONNECT_POLL=6
CONNECT_TIMEOUT=60
DEFROUTE=yes
SYNCHRONOUS=no
ETH=eth0
PROVIDER=DSLppp0
******end ifcfg-ppp0******

At least 50 per cent of this looks wrong, specially the reference to eth0,
as I have no Ethernet connexion; the same about pppoe.

Now could somebody kindly help me in editing this file to make it suitable
for my PPPoA connection? I should be very grateful indeed.

Charles.