[HELP] Can't Boot Back to OSX After YDL3 Install & Problem Updating pdisk

Mark Srebnik yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jun 27 16:35:01 2003

	Hi all,

First post to this group....could really use someone's help!

Installed YDL3 this morning on the new hard drive I installed on my
PMG4. Installed new drive as master and moved my old drive to be slave.

Created 2 partitions using Apple Drive Setup so that I could use part of
drive for Mac stuff.

Then ran YDL installer and DiskDruid to setup partitions for YDL.

Then completed YDL install process and booted OK into YDL3. All is well
there and I'm emailing from Evolution in YDL.

Problem started when I tried rebooting into OSX10.2.6....

First I see the usual grey screen with Apple icon but then I get a
circle with slash through it.

Forget how but I can boot into my OS9 partition on old drive. However,
while I can move the cursor on screen my trackball buttons don't work
and I can't do anything.

Found post from April from Dan Burcaw titled 'Can I get my
Apple_partition_map partition back?' and tried following those
instructions.

However, problem is I can't seem to get proper identification of drive
partition to be updated, in order for pdisk update to take place.

Below is my latest terminal output for review.

You can see that part of problem I think is related to the message
'Disk /dev/hda doesn't contain a valid partition table'.

Hope someone can please advise....really need to get back into my OSX
partition to do some work!

fdisk: invalid option -- p

Usage: fdisk [-b SSZ] [-u] DISK     Change partition table
       fdisk -l [-b SSZ] [-u] DISK  List partition table(s)
       fdisk -s PARTITION           Give partition size(s) in blocks
       fdisk -v                     Give fdisk version
Here DISK is something like /dev/hdb or /dev/sda
and PARTITION is something like /dev/hda7
-u: give Start and End in sector (instead of cylinder) units
-b 2048: (for certain MO disks) use 2048-byte sectors
[root@localhost root]# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Disk /dev/hda doesn't contain a valid partition table

Disk /dev/hdb: 122.9 GB, 122942324736 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 238216 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes

Disk /dev/hdb doesn't contain a valid partition table
[root@localhost root]#
[root@localhost root]#
[root@localhost root]# /sbin/pdisk hda
pdisk: can't open file 'hda'  (No such file or directory)
[root@localhost root]# fdisk -s