What is up yellowdog buddies?

Jonathan C. Sitte yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Mar 4 08:23:01 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: ksimpson@toadmail.com
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 08:34:32 -0500 (EST)
To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Subject: Re: What is up yellowdog buddies?

> Quoting "Jonathan C. Sitte" <jcsitte@linuxmail.org>:
>
> > How are things with the yellowdog users? Just wanted to see how people
> > are enjoying their experience with yellowdoglinnux. What would you like
> > to see as in packages in yellowdog in the future? What would you like to
> > see in 3.0? Are there a things that are not included that you would
> > like? Is 2.3 starting to feel out of date? How many people want KDE 3.1?
> > What about the latest GNOME and GTK2? What about catagories as in
> > multimedia and such? Would you like to see more packages in the contrib
> > section of apt? I am was thinking that an online package database would
> > be nice. Like the one that the fink project uses.
>
> Hey Jonathan,
>
> I like YDL quite a bit. I think 2.3 is starting to feel a bit dated and
> additional packages in contrib for both 2.3 and 3.0 would be a good thing.
> Although with 3.0 not out yet, it's hard to say what I'd like to see
> which isn't included. I'm looking forward to 3.0 which hopefully will be
> out soon. Is the YDL website redesign an omen? :). I know there are updates
> I'd like to have available (tcl/tk 8.4, mysql 3.2.55. etc) but these very
> well may be included in 3.0 when released. I think rpms for KDE 3.1 and
> Gnome 2.2 for YDL 2.3 would be nice. I installed 3.1 on my Wallstreet with
> konstruct, which aside from the compile time was pretty painless. The more
> updated packages available the better. I'm willing to help how I can and
> as time allows.
>
> Ken

Ken,

     At the moment the best thing I can think of is try to encourage other users to start making rpms and srpms. The more people that are working on this the better. Then we need to either create our own database or talk the YDL people to let us upload our stuff somewhere. I am really trying to push this effort in flushing out YDL more. Yes, 3.0 will have allot newer packages but maybe there is allot already made for 2.3 that just needs to be uploaded. I would not be surprised if we all uploaded all of our stuff in one place as long as we are uploading the dependecies that are not included with 2.3 and 3.0 when it is out we will have a much more rounded distrobution. This would also allow the ydl developers to concentrate on the main stuff like kde gnome and server stuff. While all us users can mess with applications that maybe only 10 people use out of all the users but at least the people who know what they are doing can create the stable rpms and srpms for the less savy users. People who dont know how to write spec files or install from source.

     Other than than all I can say is lets get this project going. I am really trying to advocate this before YDL releases their next version. This would in turn really spike up users and even new users if people here that YDL has allot more going on than other distros. This is a very good time to do so since (I will not mention other ppc distros) are either dropping from the picture or lagging behind.

     Every night I check my email and update any packages that I have subscribed under freshmeat.org. I would LOVE it and I mean LOVE it if I could be able to share these packages to other users in an unstable section with apt. All I would have to do is upload them using ftp. If YDL wants to do this we could have designated maintainers of such projects. Lets say like I love using gtkhx to talk to my mac buddies using hotline. I would love to make sure that we have the latest rpm for that program.

     Other than that I think the best thing people can do for now is keep talking about this. Any other ideas or opinions? Come on people lets rock!

jcsitte

Keep the thread clean and reply at the bottom!

http://www.linuxmail.org/