Packages that need to be resolved.

Atro Tossavainen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Mar 5 01:15:01 2003

> Packages that need to be resolved.
>
> I was thinking to myself "What packages would I like to see for YDL?"

Lots of pre-built packages is nice, but improving the install system
would be even greater.  Of course that's a bit harder for users to
help with...

I'm running an Xserve with dual hard drives.  I wouldn't have gotten
two drives for it if it wasn't my intention to mirror root on it.
Surprise surprise, it's a lot harder than on x86...

What I'd like to see in the install system:

File systems other than ext2 (at least ext3 and reiserfs)
Creation of RAID sets
A boot environment that can mount a RAID root

As far as I can see, the two first ones are not that difficult, but
since the Mac partitioning scheme doesn't have the "Linux raid
autodetect" partition type, the third one is slightly more so.

I resolved the RAID root boot problem by creating an initial RAM disk
that sets up the RAID, mounts it, chroots to it and execs init there.
If anybody needs a copy, let me know.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,

File attachments NOT welcome unless agreed to beforehand.