Couple Questions

Rob Brandt yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Mar 10 15:16:05 2003

> On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 09:50, Nathan Weil wrote:
> > Hey All,
> > 	Just got some questions I'd like to ask, and you guys seem to have the
> > answers.
> >
> > 1.  If I create a PHP/MySQL web app package for my company, can we sell
> > that package to other companies, or would we be required to provide it
> > for free if we wanted to do that?  I don't know if we could charge for
> > MY software.  I know we wouldn't be able to charge for the PHP/MySQL
> > part.

Yes, you can create commerically licensed applications from GPL tools.  What you
can't do is create a 'derivitive work' of a GPL package and sell it without also
 making the source code freely available.  A derivitive work would be, for
example, changing the way PHP itself works.

> > 2.  Are there any GUI front ends for MySQL?

I guess that depends on what you mean by a GUI front end.  There's phpMySQL,
which is an admin tool for MySQL.  Viewing databases, tables & data.  Not
creating a finished application.  As for an application framework, I know there
are several projects.  Myself, I am familiar with PostNuke and (soon available)
Xaraya, which provide an API for you to create web applications and make use of
such things as db connections, user security and permissions, multiple
translations, interaction with other applications, etc.  There are others
though.  Check out Hotscripts.com.

Rob