old dogs...new tricks?

Marcelo Pena yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Mar 15 19:11:06 2003

Hi

I found YDL 2.2 very easy to install on a PPC7200/120 with 48MB of RAM
and 2GB HD. The YDL 2.2 CD will boot a 7200 (I don't think the YDL 2.3
CD works as well). Don't install any GUI stuff. I've had it running
non-stop for almost a year mainly running Squid as a web cache for our
small home LAN. I've used it as a web server and Apache runs very well
on it but it's a bit too slow for MySQL/PHP driven sites. Any similar
old Mac can easily run web, mail, DNS, NTP, FTP, file and cache as long
as there aren't too many users.

We had a PowerMac 8500 running MkLinux as internal DNS and web cache
for 50 computers, at work, for 3 years with no problems. We also had
another PowerMac 8500 running NetBSD (I think it was NetBSD from
memory) doing the same functions at our other office for 50 computers.