Mini distro (Was: Re: old dogs...new tricks?)

Rick Thomas yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Mar 17 00:52:01 2003

--Boundary_(ID_KvRb2U7XryRzG6V7YxhBtA)

Well,

We've got lots of old-world Macs kicking around that were retired
from the student computer-labs because they couldn't run MacOS-X.
I, for one, would buy a copy (or several) of a stripped-down YDL to
run on these machines for the next generation of my campus NTP
server network.  These machines need to be reliable enough to sit
in a closet and "just work" with several years between reboots.
The old Macs are good at that, and the 486 boxes we've been using
for the NTP network are starting to show their age.

I'm not cheap, but I do try to buy the best value I can find.  YDL
fits that description in my book.

I don't think I'm unique.

Rick

On Sunday, March 16, 2003, at 08:38 AM, Aurel Wisse wrote:

> --- Dan Burcaw <dburcaw@terrasoftsolutions.com> wrote:
>> We're actually thinking about doing a slimmed down
>> mini-distro
>> (compatible with the mainline distro) that is
>> intended for OldWorld
>> hardware. Thoughts?
>
> Dan, people who want to dust off old hardware are,
> almost by definition, people who want a) to pay as
> little as possible, or b) a challenge. Don't expect
> huge sales from a mini distro.

--Boundary_(ID_KvRb2U7XryRzG6V7YxhBtA)

Well,

We've got lots of old-world Macs kicking around that were retired from
the student computer-labs because they couldn't run MacOS-X.  I, for
one, would buy a copy (or several) of a stripped-down YDL to run on
these machines for the next generation of my campus NTP server
network.  These machines need to be reliable enough to sit in a closet
and "just work" with several years between reboots.  The old Macs are
good at that, and the 486 boxes we've been using for the NTP network
are starting to show their age.

I'm not cheap, but I do try to buy the best value I can find.  YDL
fits that description in my book.

I don't think I'm unique.

Rick

<excerpt>We're actually thinking about doing a slimmed down

mini-distro

(compatible with the mainline distro) that is

intended for OldWorld

hardware. Thoughts?

</excerpt>

Dan, people who want to dust off old hardware are,

almost by definition, people who want a) to pay as

little as possible, or b) a challenge. Don't expect

huge sales from a mini distro.

</fixed></excerpt>

--Boundary_(ID_KvRb2U7XryRzG6V7YxhBtA)--