Mini distro (Was: Re: old dogs...new tricks?)

Aurel Wisse yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Mar 16 06:39:01 2003

--- Dan Burcaw <dburcaw@terrasoftsolutions.com> wrote:
> We're actually thinking about doing a slimmed down
> mini-distro
> (compatible with the mainline distro) that is
> intended for OldWorld
> hardware. Thoughts?

Dan, people who want to dust off old hardware are,
almost by definition, people who want a) to pay as
little as possible, or b) a challenge. Don't expect
huge sales from a mini distro.

If Terrasoft has spare time and money to spend, I
recommend you put every bit of it into making recent
hardware work, especially video cards. Getting 1990
Macs to work while BenH is working his butt off to get
the latest Nvidia card to work is a waste of time, and
that is not where the money is.

On a personal note, my next hw upgrade is less than 12
months away (from an iMac rev. B, wich I pass on to
the next generation). My preferred solution will be
mobile hardware that runs linux best. If you sell your
preinstalled units in Canada, that would be helpful,
too.

Best regards, Aurel