Mini distro (Was: Re: old dogs...new tricks?)

Dan Burcaw yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Mar 16 11:12:01 2003

On Sun, 2003-03-16 at 06:38, Aurel Wisse wrote:
> --- Dan Burcaw <dburcaw@terrasoftsolutions.com> wrote:
> > We're actually thinking about doing a slimmed down
> > mini-distro
> > (compatible with the mainline distro) that is
> > intended for OldWorld
> > hardware. Thoughts?
>
> Dan, people who want to dust off old hardware are,
> almost by definition, people who want a) to pay as
> little as possible, or b) a challenge. Don't expect
> huge sales from a mini distro.

Good point.  However, we weren't thinking of selling CDs..
rather integrate it with YDL.net services.  Nonetheless, you are correct
in  your analysis.

> If Terrasoft has spare time and money to spend, I
> recommend you put every bit of it into making recent
> hardware work, especially video cards. Getting 1990
> Macs to work while BenH is working his butt off to get
> the latest Nvidia card to work is a waste of time, and
> that is not where the money is.

Our next release will support every ATI and NVidia card.
The stars are in alignment for this one... ;-)

> On a personal note, my next hw upgrade is less than 12
> months away (from an iMac rev. B, wich I pass on to
> the next generation). My preferred solution will be
> mobile hardware that runs linux best. If you sell your
> preinstalled units in Canada, that would be helpful,
> too.

We sell them to folks in Canada.. but you're probably asking if we have
a hardware reseller in Canada.  The answer is no.  Currently the
pre-install is somewhat of a custom process that isn't terribly
conducive to a retail environment.