old dogs...new tricks?

Markus Deistler yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Mar 17 06:39:00 2003

On Sat, 2003-03-15 at 10.26 pm Andrew Stout wrote:
> Hello, YDL folks--

> 2. Power Mac 7300/something
> 3. Power Mac 7200/something

YDL2.3 works great, if you put some RAM and a bigger HD into those
boxes. I don't think YDL2.2 is better or worse here ...

I run YDL2.3 on a PPC 7500 with 236 MB RAM and a 4 GB SCSI-HD (4 GB is
just enough, 2 GB is very tight for YDL). When I still used the
PPC-601-CPU-card@100 MHz KDE3.01 and GNOME1.4 were too slooow IMHO,
things have improved by installing a G3-CPU-daughtercard@233MHz from
xlr8 !! (KDE 3.1 is faster than KDE 3.0.x, and GNOME 2.x is said to be
faster than GNOME 1.4, so there is even hope for a fancy linux-desktop
on 100 MHz-machines, but I prefer IceWM/Windowmaker there).

For a real speedy X you might have to abandon XFree86-4.2 and to use old
Xpmac or XF-3.3.6 on certain video hardware.

> 4. Performa 6214CD
> - Am I right that this is a NuBus machine and it's nigh-impossible to
Linux on Nubus-Pmacs is possible, I used to run MkLinux, LinuxPPC2000
and YDL on a PPC 6100 with certain patched kernels (there is a special
mailing list for Linux on Nubus-Pmacs at http://lists.linuxppc.org).

> 5. Performa 637CD
Linux probably runs everywhere, even in a watch. See
http://www.mac.linux-m68k.org/
Maybe even there:
> 6. Classic, Classic II, LC III

Markus