File-sharing users?

Mark Jaffe yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Mar 18 17:14:00 2003

I would like to discuss some problems I am having with material obtained
from the Gnutella network. Recently I attempted to obtain some disk images
from shared users. I don't have a fast connection at home, so I am using my
YDL machine and gtk-gnutella to download, then do the transfer to my OS X
machine at my leisure. I am finding that the downloaded files are unusable.
They appear to be disk image files (.dmg) but when Disk Copy tries to mount
them I get a dialog indicating "no mountable file systems." Is anyone else
experiencing this?

If I do a "file" command on YDL or OS X, the file is "typed" as a "lif file"
which matches what I see from a valid (mountable) image; doing a "head" then
piping into hexdump indicates the same "magic bits" as a valid disk image.

I would not normally be "borrowing" software I did not buy, but I have been
out of work for over a year and purchasing software is not an option at this
time.

Mark
Mark Jaffe              | (408) 972-9638 (home)
Chief Wizard            | (408) 807-1530 (cell/page/voicemail)
Computer Wizards        | (425) 795-6421 (FAX)
wizards44@earthlink.net | http://www.wizdev.net/