Recommended upgrade method

Dan Burcaw yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Mar 18 21:51:01 2003

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Chad Sellers wrote:

> I've been using 2.3 for a little bit now, and I like it a lot.  I've got
> experience with 5 different distros for x86, and I think this is better than
> all of them.  Now that I see 3.0 is out, I'd like to upgrade.  What method
> can I/should I use?  Can I do this with something as simple as apt?  Do I
> need to download the iso and burn a CD?  If I need to use the CD, should I
> upgrade or do a complete wipe-and-load?

There is of course the old 'apt-get' option. Anaconda, our new installer
with 3.0... has an upgrade feature. However, 3.0 doesn't ship with this
feature as there are many complications upgrading to 3.0 from 2.3.  See,
everything has changed. 3.0 is a totally new beast.  We will support
upgrades via the installer in the next release for YDL 3.0 or newer
upgrades.

Short answer: reinstall from scratch if you can. It will be much better.
Long answer: you may be able to apt-get install once the YDL 3 RPMS/SRPMS
are up on the mirror sites in a few weeks.

-Dan