Recommended upgrade method

Romeyn Prescott yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Mar 19 13:40:12 2003

At 9:50 PM -0700 3/18/03, Dan Burcaw scribbled:

>Short answer: reinstall from scratch if you can. It will be much better.
>Long answer: you may be able to apt-get install once the YDL 3 RPMS/SRPMS
>are up on the mirror sites in a few weeks.
>
>-Dan

I admit that I don't know ANYTHING about this, so I ask out of
sincere, genuine curiosity which is not necessarily angst-ridden over
having to zarch my box and re-install stuff (most notably qmail) if I
choose to go with YDL 3.0:

Why has YDL never been upgradable?  I've been upgrading a RedHat Box
since 6.2 and the "upgrade existing system" option has always been
there.

Maybe this is (excuse the pun) Apples and Oranges (hats and dogs?),
but would you explain for a humble USER (as opposed to a programmer)
why Yellow Dog's never been able to pull this off?

I thank you for your continued development of a wonderful product and
look forward to seeing the new 3.0 which I will install,
upgrade-ability notwithstanding.

Sincerely,
...ROMeyn
--