YDL 2.3 Partition size issues ?

Andrew Stout yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Mar 20 07:33:01 2003

I'm a little rusty (it's been a while since I did an install, and I'm
no expert), but I saw this error many a time when installing on my
Wallstreet 'bout a year ago.  The error probably means you're trying to
install on a partition that doesn't have enough space--that is, you
*think* you're installing on that 12G / partition, but the installer is
actually trying to install all those packages on the second swap
partition, or on the boot partition.

I was also doing the multiple swap partitions thing when I had this
trouble, because I'd read somewhere that I needed to.  Apparently
that's way-outdated information, and there's nothing keeping you from
having a single 256Mb swap partition.  I consolidated my swap to one
partition, followed a more standard partitioning scheme (something like
/MacOS 8G, swap 256Mb, / 8G, /common 2G) and it went fine.

That said, the partitioning utility in YDL 2.3 (and 2.2, and 2.1...) is
very broken, and very insistent that you do what it thinks is best for
you.  My approach was to partition using a different utility (one that
wouldn't segfault if I deleted and remade a partition in the same go),
format using YDL's, and proceed.  I think I actually posted step by
step instructions on how to dodge the partitioner's brokenness about a
year ago january...you could look in the archives if you were feeling
industrious.  Anway, I'm really glad 3.0 has a new installer...

HTH,

--Andrew