Getting 3.0 now?

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Mar 21 10:58:01 2003

Dan Burcaw wrote:
> The whole idea of YDL.net Enhanced is to allow users that are willing to
> support Terra Soft a means to do so *and* and receive YDL 3.0
> immediately.

That would be my preference...

> Not everyone wants/needs physical CDs or t-shirts.

Like myself...

>  While
> we can't prevent them from giving their friends a copy of the ISOs that
> they've paid for via their subscription, let me talk about a few of the
> repercussions for doing so.
>
> First of all, distributing the ISOs would seriously undermine the people
> that have paid to support us.

Well aren't there going to be many mirrors of YDL 3.0 later?

> In addition, this revenue helps us
> continue to develop YDL.  Especially in the current economic climate,
> this is of major concern.

I don't mind paying...and even indicated I was going to...I just don't want to pay for the expensive
subscription and extras.  One of the main reasons is that I'm not "sold" on YDL yet.  I am a
student, and after hearing how good YDL was, I spent about 1/3 of my money on a laptop, and but YDL
on it...Well, it hardly works...The resolution is bad unless I tweek some settings...when the
settings are tweeked, the dvd players won't work.  My airport card barely works (I'm not sure what
the problem is, I can connect but most images and pages dont render), but it works in os X.  I'm
actually  pretty upset that I spent that much money and I don't have a fully funtional laptop.  I'm
not about to spend near MS prices for YDL if the new version doesn't work.  So I totally understand
the "economic climate" which is one reason I'm not going to shell out a lot of money.

>(As an aside, selling YDL
> from downloaded or copied images violates two trademarks, copyright
> protected designs, etc. ... GPL allows for free distribution of the
> content, not the trademarked and copywritten material).

So even two months from now, I can't give a YDL CD to someone without violating terrasoft's
license/tradmarks/copyrights?  I also can't setup my own unofficial mirror to off load some
bandwidth for you all?  Are most distrobutions this way?  If so, the 30 or so people at my school
(and myself) that run Red Hat on their x86 machines because I gave them all access to my disks, are
in trouble ;)

> Again, we can't stop people, but suggest they consider the impact such
> an action would have on Terra Soft, the sustainability of Yellow Dog
> Linux, and their fellow members of the YDL user community.

I'm not looking to hurt Terra Soft, I just want a useable laptop (now) without spending a bunch of
money (now I'm a poor student)...especially when I don't know if it will work correctly (as 2.3 did
not).

> Regards,
> -Dan

BTW, I have bought Mandrake, RedHat, and Debian so I do support the distrobutions...but all except
Mandrake were < $30 (I bought the powerPack because I was new to linux).

Bryce